The holidays are the perfect time to try new recipes for family gatherings. Pastry Chef Jamie Suddoth shares her recipe for a Yule Log cake.
Vertical Layer Yule Log Cake
By Jamie Suddoth
Prep Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Yield: 1 – 8 inch Cake which Feeds 10 to 12 people
4 ½ ounces Bread Flour
1 ½ ounces Cocoa powder
6 ounces Sugar
24 Egg yolks
8 Egg Whites
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Salt
Method of Preparation
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
- Line two jelly roll pans with parchment
- Whisk together flour and cocoa, set aside
- With an electric mixer whip the egg yolks, ½ the sugar and the vanilla until thick and pale yellow, set aside
- Whip egg whites with salt until foam begins to form, slowly add the remaining sugar and whip to form a stiff peaked meringue
- Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk mixture to lighten. Then gently fold in the remaining.
- Sprinkle the cocoa/flour mixture over the egg mixture and gently food until incorporated thoroughly, do not over mix
- Divide the batter evenly among the pans and bake for 6 minutes , until cake springs back to a gentle touch
- Let cool completely
¼ cup Melted Butter
½ cup Cocoa
1/3 cup Milk
- teaspoon Vanilla
3½ cups Powdered Sugar (10X)
Method of Preparation
- Beat melted butter and cocoa together in an electric mixer
- Add Vanilla
- Slowly add powdered sugar
- Slowly add milk
Mocha Butter Cream *Professional Tip*
Using your favorite Buttercream recipe, Create mocha flavor with the addition of coffee extract or make a paste with instant coffee granules and a small amount of hot water and add to butter cream to reach desired mocha flavor.
- Cut both chocolate roulade sheets into 4 inch strips, by cutting a small notch 4 inches apart along the short edge of the sheet and then using a ruler to keep the strips even connect top and bottom notches.
- After cutting spread a thin and even layer of mocha buttercream of the entirety of both cakes
- Roll the first strip, (the cream side in) into a tight roll. Move the strip over to the start of the next strip and continue rolling, the end of the first roll touching the beginning of the second, and keep adding strips to make a large spiral cake.
- Stop when the cake spiral is 8 inches wide.
- Wrap the cake with a strip of parchment paper and put in the refrigerator to set for about 1 hour.
- ***OPTIONAL*** using your favorite Vanilla cake recipe add an extra layer to the top and bottom of the spiral with a thin layer of fudge icing to hold it together
- Once cake is set up and cold. Cover to top of the cake with a smooth layer of Mocha Buttercream Use small amounts of fudge icing in a swirl pattern to make the appearance of tree rings.
- Ice the sides of the cake with the fudge icing, using upward strokes to give the appearance of bark texture
- Garnish with M&M holly berries, Green Butter cream holly leaves, meringue mushrooms, and chocolate bark on the sides.
Contact her at email@example.com to learn more about Jamie’s Cakes & Classes. Also find her on Facebook: Jamie’s Cakes & Classes and on Instagram: Jamies_Cakes_and _Classes