FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Plant-Based Clinical and Culinary Summit fights chronic disease and health disparities with evidence-based education and flava!
One of five programs administered by 501c3 organization, Power is Giving, Inc., we are pleased to announce our Eat Drink Disrupt (EDD) Summit program will take place in Charlotte, NC on Saturday October 7,2023 at the New Parr Center @CPCC!
With an intentional emphasis on Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC)-led programming, EDD Summit is a ½ day, 100% whole food, plant-based (WFPB) clinical, culinary & wellness equity program that focuses on evidence-based, chronic disease interventions, while also offering perspectives on systemic food and health inequities and onsite support of BIPOC-owned businesses and brands.
WHY FOCUS ON CANCER, HEART DISEASE & EQUITY?
1. According to the American Cancer Society, African Americans have the highest death rate and shortest survival rate for most cancers in the U.S. African-American men also have the highest cancer incidence rates.
2. Black women are 40% more likely to die of breast cancer, with a 50% higher risk if they’re over 50 years old.
3. A study published by the American Heart Association on July 18, 2022, reported that Black adult women and men experience a disproportionately higher burden of cardiovascular risk factors and disease compared to white adults in the U.S.
4. According to a Kaiser Family Foundation study published on April 21, 2023, health disparities are driven by social and economic inequities.
Dawn Hilton-Williams, Executive Director of Power is Giving, Inc., states that, “EDD summits focus on equity and the integration of clinical and culinary interventional education, coupled with the provision of an immersive teach and taste approach, makes the program a one-stop-shop for optimal wellness.”
EDD SUMMIT HIGHLIGHTS
Clinical Empowerment: Features three double and triple board-certified BIPOC physicians Dr. Milton Mills MD (Stanford & Georgetown-trained-practicing in Washington, DC) Dr. Marsha Gail Davis, MD (UC San Diego & Yale-trained-practicing in Atlanta, GA) and Dr. Cliff Morris MD, FACC-Cardiologist, who is also a UNC Tarheels alumnus who played basketball for Coach Dean Smith alongside his legendary former teammates: Michael Jordan, Brad Daugherty and Kenny Smith (practicing in Southside, VA).
Our physicians will explore life-saving interventions for heart disease and cancer; emphasizing the evidence-based advantages of adopting a WFPB lifestyle for prevention, arrest, and reversal.
5 BIPOC Free Taste & Hydrate Stations: All attendees will receive color-coded tickets to exchange for well over a pound (28 total ounces) of themed vegan taste and hydrate stations-menus curated by BIPOC chefs.
1. The Inspired station: Asian Vegan Salmon Skewers & Vegan Kimchi Purple Cabbage Slaw
2. The Soulful station: Vegan Creole Red Beans and Smokin’ Collards
3. The Brunch station: Vegan Mushroom Shrymp & Grits w/roasted tomato & aromatics reduction
4. The Island station: Curried Chickpeas w/ herbed black rice
5. The Hydration station: Hibiscus Lavender Punch
BIPOC Food Apartheid Panel: A moderated panel on The Socio-Environmental Impacts of Food Apartheid will be hosted by Tone X and feature panelists: Michael Brown ESQ, Kennedy Williams, Dr. M. Gail Davis, Mamie Sackie-Harris and Dawn Hilton Williams.
Supporting BIPOC-Owned Businesses: By waiving all registration and table/chair fees and providing honorariums to all tasting station and demo chefs, speakers, and keynotes, EDD Summit directly supports BIPOC-owned entities. Corporate ally-partner vendors committed to equity and wellness will also be present.
Ask-An-Expert Opportunities: Attendees can privately interact with experts at the Ask-A-Doc/Expert station, featuring physicians Dr. Davis and Dr. Morris, registered and licensed dietitian Jessica Barrett, and doula and vegan parenting pro, Diyasha Jones.
Award-Winning, BIPOC Vegan Cooking Demo Chefs: Vegan cooking demonstrations by acclaimed chef Artina Lindsey (Spartanburg, SC) and Restaurateur, Manufacturer and Chef GW Chew (Oakland, CA).
Swag and Hourly Giveaways: Attendees will receive an eco-friendly tote loaded with clinically-endorsed, vegan cookbook “Flava My Plate,” wellness resources from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), and raffle tickets for giveaways and more!
Tickets are $25 in advance and are available at eddsummits.com/eddsummitix or CPCC Parr Center online box office or in person (1201 Elizabeth Avenue).
Dawn Hilton Williams
Phone: 980-800-6580 | 864-569-3069
PREVIOUS EDD SUMMIT NEWS MEDIA
PREVIOUS EDD SUMMIT CLIP GREENVILLE, SC
Saturday, October 7, 2023
Parr Center at CPCC, 1201 Elizabeth Avenue, Charlotte, NC
Doors Open: 10:45 AM | Tickets: $25